Thursday, July 16, 2009

Hooked On: Easy, DIY, Custom Memo Boards

Editing this post to link to Melissa at 320* Sycamore for her fun Gift Ideas party. Head over today for more fun projects!

This post is linking up to the wonderful Julia at Hooked on Houses for her "Hooked On..." party today!

As I've been making a valiant effort to cross items off of my summer to-do list, I've been focusing on organizing my new craft "hallway." Memo boards like this:

($79.00)
and this:

($149.00!! from PB Teen)
look like a fun solution to both organization and displaying keepsakes. I wanted to create something that would compliment my craft desk makeover project (Yes, I know I've linked to it a thousand times, but it was my first big makeover project and I'm proud of it! Give a girl a break!).

I've had this old poster laying around forever. The poster made its way to Salvation Army, and the frame had a little date with my black spray paint.

I mentioned here that I found this fabric at JoAnn's with my 50% coupon.


Poor T drove all over town for me trying to find cork board that would not be too thin. The backing on the poster was just thin cardboard, so the cork needed to be thicker. He finally found a package of cork squares at Office Depot.

He glued the squares to the cardboard backing and we put some heavy stuff on top of it overnight. Three days later The next day, he cut the extra cork off the edges for me with a box cutter.

Then it was my turn to go to town! I grabbed my hot glue gun and wrapped the fabric as tightly as I could, wrapping the cardboard backed cork like a present.
Voila!

It's not hanging because I need to see how high my shelf over the desk will be first, and T a certain person likes to take their time in between projects. T is much better at hanging stuff than I am.

Close-up!


Some cute push pins in bright colors (I'm thinking red, green, yellow, blue, etc.) are in the works.

Total cost of this project? About $17.00 (The cork boards were ironically the most expensive thing at $13!)
{What are you hooked on this week?}
post signature

32 comments:

  1. This is all new to me, which shows that you should post things that you are proud of several times so everyone can see them! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh great hooked on, what a result for $17!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it a great feeling to have a successful project? Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Office Depot for the cork. Sometimes they have the very thing. We found some great straight forward little picture frames there this weekend. Didn't get them but now we know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the transformation. Good job and inexpensive too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You found a great way to reuse a frame that you already had. The frame looks great painted black and I love the fabric that you used. T is nice to help you with your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! You did a terrific job of turning inexpensive supplies into a beautiful project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it turned out great! My tween daughter has been eying the one from PBteen for a while now, I've been trying to come up with an alternative. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How pretty! I love the fabric. My daughter asked for a corkboard for her room-I am so going to do this. Thanks for the info on how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice!

    I'm planning a similar project with an old picture frame.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful job, I really like what you did. I'm inspired to do one with a rather large frame like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful job, I really like what you did. I'm inspired to do one with a rather large frame like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! Now I want to make one for my office. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the unusual shape that you've used - gives it a very custom look. And the fabric is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. that looks great, amanda!! you are so much craftier than i am!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks great! I need something like that to stay organized - but I don't anywhere to put it. Damn tiny house...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Way nicer than the ones you can buy! Thanks for sharing -

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! I am LOVING your blog, Amanda. We are moving in a couple of weeks and I'm so excited to start using some of these ideas to decorate our new house.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this. We're getting ready to move and this is going to be my first project after the move. I can't wait:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Amanda! I LOVE your message board. That fabric is fabulous. Can't wait to see the craft area again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You crafty girl! I love ALL of your projects. Wish I was this creative too...

    Thanks for coming by my blog SweeterLiving and leaving a comment! No, I'll manage without the stripper shoes. (Very sensible girl - don't enjoy agony)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the table makeover and the bulletin board it too stinkin' cute. I'm saving your blog to read later trying to get thru all the Hooked on Friday blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great project! It turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh I have the same frame different pictures in it but I was going to sell it, now I know what I am going to do with it.

    Oh ya I know what it's like to be proud of your first project. I just got done with my very first one. It's a $2 chair. You can see it over at my blog if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is one of my most fun things to do and I loved reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That was a great project! I need one of those. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh too cute! I love that fabric selection too

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fantastic! It looks so good and it will look adorable with some bright push pins. Thanks for linking it up...and oh, I wanted to let you know I'm selling this great new bust enhancements that I think you'll lo...kidding!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...